Monthly Prayer Newsletters
April 2013 Newsletter
April 2013 Newsletter
HAPPY APRIL! It’s a beautiful time of year in Southern California, and we’re so thankful for all that God has given us. Thank you for joining us in praying for Hollywood, and may this month be full of miraculously answered prayers!
• Thank God for the success of The Bible 10 hour miniseries
• Pray for the people who heard Bible stories for the first time while watching The Bible
• Pray for Boston in light of the recent tragedy at the Boston Marathon
• Please consider joining our "I to I" (Intercessor to Industry Professional) Prayer Partnerships
• HPN’s Salem, Oregon Local Chapter is meeting together every month to pray
• Keep praying for the employees of post-production company, Rhythm & Hues
• Pray for ex-porn star turned Christian, Crissy Moran, as a positive role model
• Disney is laying off another 2% of its 7,000 employees
• When tempted to boycott, would you consider writing a positive letter instead?
• Pray that Christians in Hollywood will have an eternal impact
• Pray for new young filmmakers who are solid Christians
• Pray for upcoming studio features that are based on Biblical characters
• Pray for the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest happening in May in Malmo, Sweden
• Check out the exciting upcoming events in Hollywood
• We thank God for the success of Mark Burnett's and Roma Downing's The Bible miniseries. It broke all records in the number of viewers, and we have actually had conversations with people in our community who said they watched Bible stories they had never heard of before! As you thank God for using the media to spread His word, read an update HERE.
• In response to The Bible miniseries, pray for the people who got introduced to God’s Word for the first time and for more of TV’s audience to get to know their Savior. Read a Barna study on who was watching and what they learned HERE.
• Karen is in Boston April 15-17 to speak at Gordon College about what God is doing in Hollywood. We pray that while she is there she will be an encouragement to those affected by the recent explosions at the Boston Marathon. Please pray that the Lord will comfort, heal and reveal Himself through this tragic time.
• If you have a heart to pray for Hollywood, we would love you to become a prayer intercessor for an industry professional through our "I to I" (Intercessor to Industry Professional) Prayer Partnerships. Our ministry goal at HPN is to have every entertainment industry professional in Hollywood personally covered in prayer. We do this by matching people who want to pray for the media with an industry professional who has requested a prayer partner. Partners communicate however often they choose via email, phone, text, or sometimes in person. It's a wonderful opportunity to get to know someone in the industry and pray for their specific needs as an actor, writer, director, producer, or musician. We've had so many success stories with our prayer partnerships. One intercessor said, "Thank you so much for pairing me with my prayer partner! You must have heard God's voice because she is the perfect match. We have truly connected as sisters in Christ, and I have been so blessed by the experience already!" Please email email@example.com to sign up!
• Good news – HPN’s Local Chapter in Salem, OR meets monthly, and we want to thank Suez for her great leadership there! If you live in that area and would like to pray with Suez’s group, click HERE.
• Keep praying for the employees of the Oscar award winning post-production house, Rhythm and Hues, as they switch ownership after their recent bankruptcy filing. They are laying off the rest of the 200 employees who recently lost their jobs. So, many people in our community are now looking for work, and the prospects for new jobs here are not good. Let’s also lift up their families and pray that the Lord will turn this into good for them. For an update click HERE.
• Pray for ex-porn star Crissy Moran as the positive role model she now is to young girls through her Christian faith and her solid marriage. May her life continue to be used to help other people in the porn world to have the strength and courage to get out and embrace the hope of Jesus. With God, NOTHING is impossible. Click HERE for more info.
• Disney is laying off another 2% of its 7,000 employees again, in an effort to cut their financial strain. One of the many employees affected is our Disney Prayer Walk Host, Greg Burks. Greg is a faithful HPN member and we pray for the Lord to open new doors for him and for his wisdom in seeing the direction God wants him to go. Could you also pray for wisdom for Disney President Bob Igor and for God to supply for all of the people who are now out of work? Pray for the employees affected and for God’s guidance for the decision-makers at the studio. For more info click HERE.
• If you are one who boycotts or gets angry at the creators of films and TV shows, would you consider writing a positive letter about something you do watch and enjoy? Christians can have a positive impact by pointing out what is good, noble, right, honorable and truthful in our media, and we would love to have HPN members doing that! You can write to a network, a studio, or the editor of your local newspaper. If you live in LA, why not email the editor of the LA Times and say what you believe the media is doing right? It may start a wonderful conversation. You could make an eternal difference as you prayerfully write your email! The email for the LA Times editorial section is firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Please pray that the Christians in Hollywood will have an eternal impact on everyone they come in contact with, as salt and light. Even if it’s at the grocery story or in our neighborhoods, we never know who we’ll come in contact with and whose hearts we can touch. Comedian Tom Green tried prayer when he had cancer while living in William Shatner’s home. Read HERE how God used Tom to touch the lives of the Shatners.
• Pray for new young filmmakers who are solid Christians and are also great at their craft. More and more young people are coming to Hollywood and wanting to be marketplace missionaries as they pursue their vocation in the media. Would you pray for them to get into a healthy community, to commit to a church and to keep their eyes on Jesus as they become quality professionals?
• Pray for the people involved in the upcoming studio feature films that are based on Biblical characters. May the Lord reveal His truth, hope and love to the executives, writers, directors, cast and crew of these powerful stories. May the Lord transform their hearts in ways that will change their lives, their hearts, their choices, their relationships and their future, before the films even get to the theatres. Noah, Cain and Abel, Moses, Gods and Kings, Mary Mother of Christ, Goliath and Pontius Pilate are all in some stage of development, pre-production, production or post-production. Read more about these films HERE.
• Pray for the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest happening in May in Malmo, Sweden. The Eurovision Song Contest is an annual competition held for many members of the European Broadcasting Union. It is one of the most watched non-sporting events in the world with an audience of 100-500 million viewers. Pray for contest participants to see a glimpse of God's glory through their art and for them to ultimately come to know Jesus. For more info about the contest click HERE.
UPCOMING EVENTS: • The National Day of Prayer is Thursday, May 2nd, and HPN is joining other Hollywood churches and ministries at the First Presbyterian Church of Hollywood for an evening of prayer for our nation, our city, our churches and our industry, from 7:30 – 9:30pm. For more info click HERE.
• The Biola Media Conference is at CBS Studio City Lot on Saturday, May 4th, from 9am – 5pm. HPN will be hosting a prayer corner at the conference. For more info, click HERE.
• The Greenhouse meets at CBS Studios on Sunday night, May 5th with actor Tony Hale as the special guest. Click HERE to find out more.
• Check out the Next Film Series offered every Saturday to industry members on the CBS Studio City Lot. Click HERE for more info.
• Change Agent Hollywood: Join HPN at First Presbyterian Church of Hollywood on May 31st - June 1st for an amazing two-day seminar focused on how we can be more effective as Christians in Hollywood. Os Hillman and Ron Burhoff are great teachers and prophetic pray-ers, and they have a heart to encourage and offer spiritual freedom to industry professionals. Don't miss this life changing time. To register or find out more, click HERE.
• Hillsong UNITED is coming to the Hollywood Bowl on June 7th. Would you pray that the Hollywood Bowl is sold out for this performance, as a great reminder that there are thousands of Christians in Hollywood who will pay for a good concert? For more info click HERE.
Thank you so much for praying with us and for us this month. We are so thankful for all of you!
Karen and Lisa
TIP OF THE MONTH:
Why should we support Christian projects from Hollywood? Click HERE to find out.
QUOTE OF THE MONTH:
"If you want to stand out, don't be different, be outstanding." Meredith West
VERSE OF THE MONTH:
"For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that He has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction." I Thessalonians 1:4-5
March 2013 Newsletter
March 2013 Newsletter
It’s the middle of Lent, the time has just jumped forward an hour, the weather is warming up, and we’re getting ready for Easter! What a wonderful March! There is so much to pray for this month, so please join us as we focus on Jesus, His unconditional love and His Resurrection!
• We praise God for the amazing new TV shows and films coming out
• A correction in the info for our Twin Cities Local Chapter
• Omaha, NE is the home of some film production these days
• God has supplied new housing for HPN!
• The Hollywood party on the evening of the Academy Awards was a hit!
• Keep praying for the TV audience of The Bible, a 5 part, 10 hour mini series
• Pray for all of the amazing films coming out of the studios with Biblical themes
• 12 of the 20 American Idol finalists are Christians!
• Pray for the people involved in special effects or “VFX” who need work
• Pray for Valerie Harper, the wonderful actress who played Rhoda Morgenstern
• Pray for this year’s award winners on our Kids & Teens Prayer Calendar
• For all of you The Blind Side fans, GMC TV has started production in LA
• Following the Oscars, we ask you to pray for “celebrities”
• Pray for industry professionals and the deep depression and drug addiction
• HPN wants to honor the life of cameraman Darren Rydstrom
• Let's pray that we can LOVE people enough to get past our differences
• Please pray for HPN member, Carina, who recently had surgery • Please pray for Luke, a young actor in LA who is in a coma
• Pray that our Christian community will learn how to discuss the media
• Don’t miss our upcoming events…..
• We praise God for the amazing new TV shows and films coming out that are inspirational and full of truth and beauty. This is a specific answer to many prayers for HPN members, so don’t just focus on the negative shows on television or films in the theatre. Look at all of the good being created, and thank God for His hand on the creative community. This month’s newsletter is full of great programming, so as you pray, keep praising God! Click HERE for a list of the top ten most spiritually themed films of 2012.
LOCAL CHAPTER UPDATES:
• I got over zealous about our Twin Cities Local Chapter and said last month that they meet weekly. Well, almost...they meet monthly, on the last Tuesday of every month -- except December. Heidi does send out a weekly prayer focus email. If you’d like to pray with us for a new industry professional each week, check out our Weekly Prayer Focus page every Monday.
• Omaha, Nebraska is the home of some film production these days, and Local Chapter Director Josh Brunken has asked that we pray for their film community. Pray for blessings, safety and more work for the local film community in Omaha and for current films in production, such as Apparition and Plans of Trust.
• God has supplied new housing for HPN! Thank you for your prayers asking the Lord to supply a new place for us to work. We are moving out of our current offices in May, and the First Presbyterian Church of Hollywood has generously continued to allow us to live rent-free by simply moving us from this building to two offices on their church campus! They have been faithful partners for our 12 years of ministry, and we thank them for embracing us even closer this time by allowing us to live on their campus with them. We're excited to work together to mobilize even more prayer for Hollywood!
• The Hollywood multi-ministry party on the evening of the Academy Awards was held at Bel Air Presbyterian Church, under the leadership of The Beacon Fellowship, and it was a hit. Thank you for your prayers. What an exciting time to gather over 300 members and friends from our community. HERE is a great article about it. One of the guests and our dear friend, Phil Cooke, wrote a blog about it that we want you to be a part of. Please read the blog HERE and post your response to join the conversation about Christians and our place in culture.
• Keep praying for the TV audience of The Bible, a 5 part, 10 hour mini series, and for the Bible stories to transform the viewers. Two parts have aired already, and Mark Burnett (of Survivor, The Voice, The Apprentice, and Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader,) and his wife, Roma Downey (of Touched By An Angel), are so thankful for the response. The show airs 2 hours every Sunday night on The History Channel, with the last part airing on Easter. HPN got an email from their office, thanking us for praying for them, “THANK YOU for your incredible support! 27 million viewers tuned in, #1 Twitter feed, #1 cable event of the year, #1 viewed over the networks. All glory to God and thanks to the faith community and HPN. We are so grateful for your help.” Click HERE for an interview with Mark and Roma.
• Keep praying for all of the amazing films coming out of the studios that feature Biblical characters. May the content be true to the original source and change the hearts of the people involved, and may the final product send truth to the world in movie theaters across the globe. HERE is a great blog about the many Biblical stories turning into major studio feature films.
• Great news for all you American Idol fans: 12 of the 20 finalists this season are Christians! In fact, every season has been filled with committed believers as contestants. Would you pray for them, the impact they’re having on everyone around them on the show and for the Lord to touch the hearts of the judges as well. HERE is a great video about how one contestant truly gave God the glory in His performance, and the judges were moved.
• Please join us in praying for the people involved in special effects or “VFX” work. Hundreds of jobs are being cut, and one of the biggest houses, Rhythm & Hues, has just filed bankruptcy even though they just won the Academy Award for Best Special Effects for creating Richard Parker in Life of Pi. The way the VFX professionals are being treated is a serious problem in our industry. Would you please pray for these talented people who are losing work. May the Lord turn this into good, and may they find hope in Him along the way. For more info on this issue, click HERE.
• Pray for Valerie Harper, the wonderful actress who played Rhoda Morgenstern on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. She has just been diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer and has been given three months to live. She continues to have an amazing attitude about living every moment of life that she has left, so let’s ask the Lord to reveal Himself to her in the months to come. As you pray, learn more about her HERE.
• Pray for the winners of the Golden Globe Awards and the Oscars on our March Kids & Teens Prayer Calendars. Just click HERE, and you'll be able to pray for some of this year's winners.
• For all of you The Blind Side fans, GMC TV has started production in LA on its original series, Family Addition with Leigh Anne Tuoy. Pray for this new cable series, which will follow different families every episode as they make the ultimate commitment to open up their hearts and add a new member or members to their family. The series will make its world television premiere on GMC TV in June. May this show be an inspiration, both to those working on it and to its audience. For more info, click HERE.
• Following the Oscars, we ask you to pray for “celebrities” and the tremendous pressure, insecurity, lack of trust and even paranoia they live with in the limelight. It is a curse, not a blessing, to be a celebrity, and instead of judging their actions, let’s pray for them. They need God to protect them and give them peace, privacy and some normalcy in their lives – all of which they have lost with their fame. Pray for the curse of fame that all Hollywood celebrities all struggle with. Megan Fox says, "I don't think people understand….They all think we should shut the *&#* up and stop complaining because you live in a big house or you drive a Bentley. So your life must be so great. What people don't realize is that fame is like, whatever your worst experience in high school, when you were being bullied by those ten kids in high school, fame is that, but on a global scale, where you're being bullied by millions of people constantly." Megan is being honest about what she and all other celebrities have to deal with. To learn more, click HERE.
• Pray for industry professionals and the deep depression and drug addiction so many suffer from. There have been many suicides just in the past couple of months, and most people on the outside don’t realize this. Please pray for the family and friends of country music singer Mindy McCready, who leaves behind two little boys and her parents. Her boyfriend and the father of her 9 month old boy, David Wilson, was found dead from suicide this past January. Mindy’s children need our prayers, and they need the love of Jesus this Easter. For more info, click HERE.
• HPN wants to honor the life of cameraman Darren Rydstrom. Darren, a committed believer, was a dear friend of many in our Hollywood community. He was one of three men who died in a rare helicopter crash last month while shooting a TV show. Although Darren's family and friends know they'll see him again, the shocking loss is hard, so please pray for God to comfort their hearts at this time. Also pray for the friends and family of the pilot and the actor who were also killed. So many people were impacted by this tragedy, and only the Lord can heal their hearts. Click HERE for more info.
• HPN has tried to avoid prayer requests that deal with social and/or political issues because we believe that our focus MUST be on Jesus and nothing else, especially in the diverse political environment of Hollywood. However, we just read a beautiful article about two prominent men with opposing viewpoints on homosexuality, and we want you to read it and pray about your response to people who don't believe what we do. Let's pray that as Christians, we can LOVE people enough to get past our differences and know that our hearts have more of an impact on others than our social views. Would you pray with us that we can love the people in any community that we may not understand or agree with, and leave the rest to God. We pray that this article will inspire us not to judge others but to love people the way Jesus loves all of us.
• Please pray for HPN member Carina, who recently had surgery and is in a lot of pain. Her husband, cameraman Jeff Carina, and their daughter Madeleine would appreciate the prayers of our HPN community. May their faith impact others and bring them closer to the Lord in the process of her recovery.
• Please pray for Luke, a young actor in LA who is in a coma with severe brain damage from a serious car accident on 3/11. His parents didn't even hear for two days after the accident because Luke had no ID on him at the time of the accident. They are here from Texas now and asking for prayer for their son. Luke knows the Lord and came out here to pursue his acting career in Hollywood. May God give him healing and give the family strength and wisdom with their daily decisions and fears.
• With all of the Biblically based films and TV shows coming out, would you pray that our Christian community learn how better to discuss the media intelligently, while confidently sharing our Christian point of view? As you pray for wisdom, read how we can use our faith to discuss what's in a film to our non-believing friends.
• Bi-Monthly Bibly Study: If you’re looking for fellowship and Bible study with industry believers here in Hollywood, join Hope4Hollywood’s Winter study of the book of James, bi-monthly on Sundays from 7 to 9pm in Studio City. For more info or to register, click HERE or email Kathy at email@example.com. : Mercy Triumphs, Bi-monthly on Sundays 7 to 9 pm in Studio City.
• Prayer & Praise Night: HPN and Radiance International are co-hosting a Prayer & Praise Night on Maunday Thursday, March 28th. If you’re in town, please join us from 7:30pm – 9:30pm. For more info, click HERE.
• Art Exhibit: Friday, March 29th, join TRIBELA at their Good Friday Art Exhibit at: Big Aart Labs, 651 Clover St., Los Angeles, CA 90031 or call (323) 559-3505 for more info.
• EASTER is Sunday, March 31st. Bring a friend to church and celebrate Jesus’ Resurrection! Don’t miss out on the wonderful Easter services in your area. Click HERE for a list of great media-friendly LA Churches.
• Karen Covell will be speaking at Gordon College in Massachusetts on April 15 – 17th. If you’re in the area, come and join the students who will hear how to be more culturally relevant as Christians and how to view Hollywood as the world’s most influential mission field at Chapel on Wed. the 17th. For more info, click HERE.
• Karen Covell is speaking at the Annual Christian Women in Media Conference in Dallas, TX, April 25 – 27th. If you are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and want to attend the conference, click HERE.
• Change Agent Hollywood: Join HPN and other entertainment ministries at First Presbyterian Church of Hollywood on May 31st - June 1st for an amazing two-day seminar focused on how we can be more effective as Christians in Hollywood. Os Hillman and Ron Burhoff are great teachers, and they have a heart to encourage and offer spiritual freedom to industry professionals. Ron has an amazing gift of prayer that truly changes people's lives. Don't miss this powerful time. To register or find out more, click HERE.
Thanks for praying with us this month. Have a joyous Easter, and we’ll be back on April 15th – TAX DAY!!!
Karen and Lisa
TIP OF THE MONTH:
Do you live in a “Bible-Minded City?” Find out HERE.
QUOTE OF THE MONTH:
“Thank you for this lovely blunt object that I will forevermore use as a weapon against self doubt.” ~ Anne Hathaway during her acceptance speech for winning the Golden Globe Best Supporting Actress award for Les Miserables.
• Click HERE for an HPN member article in response to this quote.
VERSE OF THE MONTH:
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
February 2013 Newsletter
February 2013 Newsletter
Dear HPN Pray-ers,
HAPPY VALENTINE’S MONTH! May this be a month of sharing our love and God’s love to everyone around us. Who can you show love to this month whom you may not have thought about before? While you’re thinking, let’s pray for Hollywood! And remember that for HPN, 2013 is the year of the Holy Spirit, so we want to continue to invite Him to show up in our lives and the lives of entertainment professionals and to do MIRACLES in us and through us!
• Let's thank God for the quality films that came out in 2012
• We thank the Lord for two awesome events that HPN experienced this month
• Your prayers for the Sundance Film Festival were heard
• Keep praying for the people behind the many upcoming Biblically themed films
• February 24th marks the night of the 85th Annual Academy Awards on ABC
• Let’s lift up Mastermedia International and pray on Oscar Sunday
• Let’s pray for pilot season in our television industry
• HPN misses the 24/7 prayer room, Radiance International
• The Berlin Film Festival, or Berlinale, runs from February 7-27th
• Let’s pray for our nation’s cultural icons who come from Christian families
• Please pray for the people in Hollywood who are searching for truth
• HPN needs more female industry professionals and more male intercessors
• During Oscar season, let's thank God for the quality films that came out in 2012. There were so many with spiritual themes, life questions and challenging story lines that got Christians thinking about their faith and about their lives, and they got conversations going in society. That's the purpose of good films - to ask questions, to start conversations and to engage people in life issues. HERE is a good blog with some information about the films and why they were considered worthy of discussion.
• We thank the Lord for two awesome events that HPN experienced this month. The National Prayer Committee gathered in Hollywood for a full day of paradigm shifting events: a bus prayer tour of Hollywood, a panel discussion of three successful Hollywood insiders who talked openly about their faith, and a pre-screening of an upcoming film and discussion afterwards with a Fuller Seminary professor. We believe God touched the hearts of many of these prayer leaders to see Hollywood as an influential mission field, and they left knowing better how to pray for us here. Then we had a two-day Experiencing God workshop with co-author Claude King, and amazing miracles came out of that. Know that God moved and people changed, and we’re seeing more tangible works of God here than ever before! Be encouraged and thank the Lord for His mighty hand on Hollywood.
• Your prayers for the Sundance Film Festival were heard. There were more than 30 Christian film and seminary students who visited the festival and shared their faith. They got into conversations with filmmakers about the themes of their films, spirituality, and the Lord. They made an eternal difference, and we thank you for your prayers. We thank God for His abundant favor and for His impact on the lives of so many filmmakers and attendees in Utah.
• Continue praying for the people behind the many upcoming studio feature films about Biblical characters. There are now 10 in development and/or production. That alone is a miracle! The Lord is truly doing fascinating things in Hollywood this year. As you pray, read about these films HERE.
• February 24th marks the night of the 85th Annual Academy Awards on ABC, and this year’s show will be hosted by Seth MacFarlane, the creator of Family Guy. The Oscars night is actually one of the hardest nights of the year for most of the people attending and not attending this gala event. If they’ve been nominated and lose, they feel deep disappointment, hurt and often despair. If they win, many go home and think, “How do I keep this up so that I stay successful?” Or worse yet, they think, “Is this all there is?” Will you pray that the people involved in this year’s Oscars will find their identity and their fulfillment in Jesus Christ? Please also pray that our country doesn’t idol these people and their fame and glory. We understand that they are people who need our prayers. For more info, click HERE.
• We want to join Mastermedia International in their effort to lift up the Sunday of the Academy Awards as an annual day to pray for the global media. Would you ask your church to pray and join family and friends in praying for the global media and all the people involved on Oscar Sunday? For more info on how to do that, click HERE.
• It’s pilot season in our television industry, when new TV series ideas are being chosen by the network, staffed and cast. It’s the busiest time for agents as thousands of actors are hoping to be cast in a new pilot, and hundreds of producers, directors and writers are hoping that this pilot will lead to their next big show. Let’s ask the Lord to intervene in the network executives’ decisions of which pilots to pick up and which ones to pass on. And may these shows include great people, great stories and great values. We ask that the talented Christian professionals would have favor in the eyes of the hiring staff so that we may see more people from our community working on the new TV shows. For more info about pilots, click HERE.
• HPN misses the 24/7 prayer room, Radiance International, for they just moved to West LA in the heart of the music club district on Sunset Plaza. We ask for prayer that the Lord will bring another 24/7 prayer room right into the heart of Hollywood in the 90028 zip code. Let’s also pray that the Lord gives Radiance Intl. favor in their new home. Check them out HERE.
• The Berlin Film Festival, or Berlinale, opened on Feb. 7th to a crowd of international filmmakers and continues through the closing gala on Feb. 17th. With over 300,000 tickets sold for a slate of over 400 films to be screened, it is one of the top international film festivals. It is important for producers, studios, distributors and marketers who are making film deals for many of the upcoming films that will screen worldwide. Would you pray that this week the Lord will do miraculous works in the lives and hearts of the decision makers, the celebrities, the people buying product and the filmmakers themselves. Your prayers can reach people who may never get to hear about the Gospel in person. For more info, click HERE.
• Let’s pray for our nation’s cultural icons who come from Christian families. May the Lord encourage them, protect them and guide them as they maneuver the difficult decisions put before them in Hollywood. And let’s thank the Lord that thousands of Christians in the entertainment industry know and love Jesus! As you pray, read HERE about Megan Fox and Katy Perry, who both come from strong Pentecostal Christian families and talk openly about it.
• Please pray for the people in Hollywood who are searching for truth and find it in “all the wrong places,” from Scientology, to New Age, Course of Miracles, and so many other belief systems. We ask that the Lord reveals Truth to the people who are shaping our culture so that they will live lives of love, peace, joy and freedom. Liam Neeson, a well-respected Irish actor, is considering converting to Islam after a stint in Istanbul, Turkey, for a recent filming. Liam, who lost his wife in 2009 from a tragic skiing accident, says that at that time, Islamic prayer "got into his spirit" and is "the most beautiful, beautiful thing." This article shows his searching heart: “I was reared a Catholic but I think every day we ask ourselves, not consciously, what are we doing on this planet? What’s it all about?" He says, "I’m constantly reading books on God or the absence of God and atheism.” Please pray for Liam and the thousands of other Hollywood professionals who are searching for God. Pray that the Lord will use this searching to draw them toward the one, true God who can completely fill the void that they feel.
• HPN needs more female industry professionals and more male intercessors for our "I to I” Prayer Partner Program. We match intercessors outside of Hollywood to pray for Christian industry professionals inside the entertainment industry. And we now have some female intercessors waiting for someone to pray for, and we have some male industry pros waiting for an intercessor. Would YOU help us? We want to reach our goal of having EVERY Christian in Hollywood prayed for by Christians on the outside. Join the 1,500+ matched prayer partnerships that are already praying. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org and Lisa will get you started. For more info, click HERE.
Thanks so much for your prayers,
Karen & Lisa
• There’s a big party on the night of the Academy Awards that our community is invited to. For more info on the event that starts at 5pm on Feb. 24th, click HERE.
• For other upcoming events, click HERE.
TIP OF THE MONTH:
Check out ten helpful tips from Phil Cooke HERE.
QUOTE OF THE MONTH:
"Daniel Day-Lewis won a Golden Globe [award] for playing Abraham Lincoln and Julianne Moore won for playing Sarah Palin. The foreign press realized that the greatest challenge for an actor in Hollywood is pretending to be a Republican." Jay Leno
VERSE OF THE MONTH:
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.” Galatians 5:22-25
January 2013 Newsletter
January 2013 Newsletter
HAPPY NEW YEAR! We are excited to start the year praying for the world’s most influential marketplace, and we are so thankful that you’re praying with us! We are calling 2013 the YEAR OF THE HOLY SPIRIT because we are expecting Him to do incredible miracles in our hearts and lives and in the hearts and lives of industry professionals! We know that great things are coming this year, so let’s PRAY……
• Pray for filmmakers and actors during this awards nomination season
• Thank God for HPN being represented at the ATMC event in Florida
• Let’s keep praying for The American Bible Challenge game show
• We praise God for His provision for HPN at the end of 2012
• Pray for Christians outside Hollywood to embrace people inside Hollywood
• Pray for Stephen Colbert, who has gone through great loss in his life
• Pray for the Sundance Film Festival, from January 17 – 27, 2013 in Park City
• Pray for Dick Wolf, Producer of Miami Vice, Law & Order and The Church
• Hollywood is noticing the growing number of believers who go to church
• Please pray for the family and friends of Frank Pastore, who died last month
• Let's pray for Charlie Humbard, the President and CEO of GMC
• Let’s pray for our industry pros to be hungry for God and to seek Him
• Pray with and for the HPN Twin Cities Local Chapter Director, Heidi
• Pray for HPN member, Rene, in Sacramento, who’s going through a tough time
• The National Prayer Committee is gathering this year in Hollywood
• Industry pros: join us for an Experiencing God seminar by Claude King
• HPN member, Jozanne Marie, is opening her one woman show, Beautiful
• The Next Film series offers classes for filmmakers of all disciplines
• Continue to pray for filmmakers and actors as their films and jobs are being nominated by the press, the guilds and the Academy of Motion Pictures, for the many upcoming awards shows honoring the films of 2012. This is the most confusing time of year, as people feel completely crushed or unnaturally elated, based on how their film or work was seen by their peers. For the list of recently announced Oscar nominations, click HERE.
• Last week, our HPN Atlanta Local Chapter Director, Cassandra Hollis, represented HPN at a large annual SHINE
event that was sponsored by ATMC (Actors, Models & Talent for Christ) in Florida. It was a great success, and Cassandra tells us, “I had a real sense of being a missionary in the field of entertainment. It was a great time of fellowship, and my presentation went well. I was at peace and had an intimate dialogue about the need for more Christians to pray for industry professionals.” We thank God for these opportunities, for AMTC and for Cassandra. If you would like to be a prayer partner/intercessor this year with an entertainment industry professional, email Lisa at email@example.com.
• Let’s keep praying for The American Bible Challenge (Thursdays at 8:00pm ET/PT) as it goes into its second season on GSN (Game Show Network). In its first season, the show brought in the network’s highest numbers in its 17-year history with 1.7 million total viewers for its series premiere and over 13 million total viewers during its run. The success of the show has hit digital and social platforms with the launch of The American Bible Challenge Game for iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle and Facebook, with an amazing 8 million+ game plays and 500,000+ users. It’s a phenomenon that a Bible game show would be such the hit! And not only does the show ask historically and Biblically compelling questions, but the contestants all share their back stories, which include many stories of faith, and they all give ALL of their winnings to the charity of their choice! For more information, click HERE.
• We praise God for His provision. He was so faithful to provide all of HPN’s end-of-the-year financial needs, and we thank all of you who donated as well. We can’t thank you enough for your vision for the media and for your support of HPN. We couldn’t do it without you! Whether you are a long time giver or you just joined our giving team for the first time, we PRAISE GOD FOR YOU!
• Let’s start the year with the prayer that more Christians outside of Hollywood will have a heart for the people here in Hollywood! If the hearts of the Christians outside of Hollywood melt, then they will pray more and have more compassion for the people on the inside, and we will see miracles happen to industry professionals! Softened hearts will also break the barrier that has kept the Church and Hollywood divided for so many decades. May the Church have love and compassion for the Nation’s culture-creators so their lives will change, then their content will change, and then our culture will change! This is a year-long prayer request!
• Pray for Stephen Colbert, who has gone through a tremendous amount of loss in his life and yet has chosen to have a great attitude. A quote he has on his computer reads, "Joy is the most infallible sign of the presence of God." As you're praying for Stephen, read his full story HERE.
• Pray for the Sundance Film Festival, from January 17 – 27, 2013 in Park City, Utah. It is one of the year’s biggest film festivals where filmmakers, distributors and marketers all gather to see what’s available to pick up for the new year. Please pray for the filmmakers to find the Lord there, for the distributors to be moved by God when choosing what films to buy and for the audiences to be discerning in their choice of films to embrace. And may the Christians there have a beautiful, eternal impact on everyone they encounter. For more information about Sundance, click HERE.
• Pray for Producer Dick Wolf (Miami Vice and Law & Order) and his new show coming out, currently titled The Church. Dick has been controversial in how he represents Christians on his shows, so we want to ask the Lord to melt his heart and reveal to Dick His unconditional love and not the stereotypes that come from people who have been hurt in the past by someone in the Church or in the name of God. HERE’s an editorial with insight on how to pray for Dick Wolf and his upcoming show.
• Hollywood is noticing the growing number of bold believers who are church-going industry professionals. Pray for the strength and depth of faith for the community of Hollywood Christians. May we all find one another and build unity, support, prayer and love. Read a fun list of "Hollywood Churches" HERE.
• Please pray for the family and friends of Frank Pastore, who died last month in a tragic accident in Los Angeles. Frank was the host of the Frank Pastore Show on KKLA and a passionate supporter of our Christian community in Hollywood. Frank’s wife, Gina, especially needs our prayers during this time of loss. For more on Frank, click HERE.
• Last month, we prayed for I Forgive You, a new show on GMC. This month, let's pray for Charlie Humbard, the President and CEO of GMC. Charlie has been with GMC for years, and as a Christian, he wants to expand the channel to meet the entertainment needs of all families across the country with films, TV shows and other quality entertainment. May we ask the Lord to give him wisdom, discernment and favor as he builds this cable network. For more about GMC, click HERE.
• Let’s pray for our industry pros to be hungry for God and to take time to hear His voice and sense His direction. We're all too busy here, either working or trying to find work, and we need to take time to sit quietly in God's presence. The hardest thing for us, as artists, is to seek God in solitude! Henri Nouwen says it best:
“It is a great advantage to have a room or a corner of a room…reserved for the discipline of solitude…There we dwell in the presence of the Lord. Our temptation is to do something useful - to read something stimulating, to think about something interesting, or to experience something unusual. But our moment of solitude is precisely a moment in which we want to be in the presence of our Lord with empty hands, naked, vulnerable, useless, without much to show, prove, or defend . . . Although the discipline of solitude asks us to set aside time and space, what finally matters is that our hearts become like quiet cells where God can dwell, wherever we go and whatever we do. The more we train ourselves to spend time with God and him alone, the more we will discover that God is with us at all times and in all places. Then we will be able to recognize him even in the midst of a busy and active life. Once the solitude of time and space has become a solitude of the heart, we will never have to leave that solitude. We will be able to live the spiritual life in any place and any time. Thus the discipline of solitude enables us to live active lives in the world, while remaining always in the presence of the living God.” Henri Nouwen
REQUESTS FROM HPN MEMBERS:
• Pray with and for the HPN Twin Cities Local Chapter Director, Heidi. She leads a great group in Minneapolis on the last Tuesday of every month to pray for the entertainment industry. They would so appreciate your prayer support, and so would we! Heidi also prepares our Weekly Prayer Focus prayers where we can specifically pray for and lift up one entertainment celebrity each week online. Check it out HERE.
• Pray for Rene, an HPN member in Sacramento, who is going through a difficult time. She says, “I found a place to stay for the time being. I’m not sure how permanent it will be, but the Lord provided. I would still appreciate the HPN community praying for the Lord’s blessing, grace, peace and equipping, and for Him to continue to lead me to a job and permanent housing. Basically for the Lord to lift me up in every way.”
• The National Prayer Committee is having their annual meeting this year in Pasadena at Fuller Seminary. But they are also spending one day, Thursday, Jan. 31st, on a short-term mission and prayer trip to Hollywood, hosted by HPN. Would you pray for these 60 prayer leaders as they pray over Hollywood and spend time with some entertainment professionals, who will be describing what it takes to be a Christian and have a successful career in Hollywood. We expect the Lord to do a mighty work in the lives of everyone involved that day.
• HPN, The Beacon and The Greenhouse are co-sponsoring an exciting event on Feb. 1 & 2. The co-author (with Henry Blackaby) of Experiencing God, Claude King, will teach a two-part seminar for industry professionals on this best-selling book. Please pray for us or join us that weekend so that our community can go deeper with God while we're all living and working in Hollywood. For more info or to register, go to www.hollywoodprayernetwork.org/content/experiencing-god
• HPN member, Jozanne Marie, is opening her one woman show entitled Beautiful on Feb. 2 & 3 at the West Angeles Theater in LA. Pray for Jozanne as she tells her story of coming from Jamaica, to the Bronx, to Los Angeles. For more information, call (323) 733-8707.
• Check out the Next Film series, a variety of practical, application-oriented seminars and classes designed to teach the many skills of filmmaking. For more information, click HERE.
• For other upcoming events, click HERE.
Thank you for starting out your new year with PRAYER! We are praying that the Lord encourages you and gives you the desires of your hearts this year!
Karen and Lisa
TIP OF THE MONTH:
• Get prepared for 2013 by taking time to find out what your message is. Click HERE to see how.
QUOTE OF THE MONTH:
"Prayer is an unnatural activity; alien to our proud human nature. Yet, when we slow down to pray, we become astonished by God's approachability, endeared by his care, stilled by his presence, encouraged by his affirmation, and challenged by his insatiable desire to make the truth known. Perfect peace comes only through relating with the Peacemaker himself." Bill Hybels
VERSE OF THE MONTH:
“Now then,” said Joshua, “throw away the foreign gods that are among you and yield your hearts to the LORD, the God of Israel.” Joshua 24:23
Dear HPN Community,
A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU! We are so thankful for this time of year and hope that you all experience the unconditional love of Jesus this Christmas. Let’s pray for Hollywood with Christmas joy!
• We thank the Lord for how faithful He is to our Hollywood community.
• Let’s pray for Jesus to make Himself known in His birthday month!
• Pray for film screenings and voting season for upcoming awards shows.
• Let’s pray for all of the co-hosts of The View.
• Pray for Angus T. Jones, co-star of Two and a Half Men.
• We need to pray for YOU, our HPN pray-ers across the world.
• Let’s pray for a new one hour documentary series, I Forgive You
• Pray for the impact Christians can have as God, science and culture merge.
• Pray that the idols in the hearts of people in Hollywood melt away.
• Pray for Goldie Hawn and the spiritual lives of industry celebrities.
• Pray with Pauline, our Local Chapter Dir. in Orlando, FL.
• Pray for the Hollywood Christians struggling with disappointment and anger.
• Nick and Sonia ask us to pray for them at Inkling Productions.
• Pray for The Initiative Production Company currently in post-production.
• WOULD YOU CONSIDER GIVING AN END-OF-THE-YEAR DONATION TO HPN?
Dear HPN members,
This is a month to give thanks to God for who He is, for all that He gives, and all that we are, because of Him. Would you join us in praying for Hollywood with an attitude of great thanks? God has been doing so many amazing things in our industry, and we want to be full of thanksgiving!
• We want to PRAISE GOD for two recent HPN events!
• Thank God for the current TV shows that are dealing with solid Biblical themes.
• Thank God for the Bible studies and prayer groups happening in Hollywood.
• I want to apologize for HPN's prayer request last month about horror films.
• Pray for the decisions made at American Film Market (AFM).
• Pray for Caren Bream in her last month on staff at HPN.
• Pray for Tina Fey and Amy Poehler who are co-hosting this year's Golden Globe Awards.
• Pray for Steven Spielberg, director of the Daniel Day Lewis film, Lincoln.
• Pray for the people who are in the limelight.
• Pray for the Lord to touch the hearts of the people here who don’t believe in Jesus.
• Pray for the employees of Universal Studios who are being laid off.
• Pray for Bob Iger & Disney for their recent purchase Lucas Films for $4.05 billion.
• Pray for upcoming film releases and TV specials airing during the holiday season.
• Thank God for the Twin Cities HPN Local Chapter’s weekly prayer meetings.
• The Greater LA Agency on Deafness wants our help in donating small toys & cookies.
• HPN wants to help the hurting and displaced artists from Hurricane Sandy.
• Check out our list of upcoming events. There is a lot happening in our community!
Dear HPN Prayer Partners,
The weather is finally cooling down in LA and we’re grateful. It’s Halloween month, a wonderful time of year to pray for the people, projects and issues in the entertainment industry. May we lift up God’s light and life during the second most profitable holiday for our nation and our industry. Let’s also pray for safety for our children on October 31st! We are so thankful that you’re praying with us and for us this month.
• Keep praying for studio and network executives to get hungry for the Lord
• Thank God that more influential people in Hollywood are becoming Christians
• Halloween 3D has been pulled from being released for Halloween
• Thank you for coming to pray for the Industry
• Thanks for praying for the people in our industry who are in need of work
• Keep praying for Russell who is starting treatments for bladder cancer
• Pray for the hearts of the industry pros during this annual Awards season
• Pray for Christian celebrities as they live and work in the public eye
• Pray for the decision-makers at American and Foreign Film Festivals
• Pray for Ari Emanuel, Co-CEO at William Morris Endeavor
• Pray for Celine and her family members, who don’t know the Lord
• Be sure to join Ralph’s & Krogers’ Community Project for HPN
It’s September – that’s a big month for television in Hollywood. It launches the new TV Fall Season, the Emmys, and the realization that if you haven’t landed a job on a series by now, it could be many more months of unemployment. So, let’s pray for the people in television!
• Thanks for praying for "The Great American Bible Challenge"
• Praise God for HPN's new Administrative Assistant, Lisa Petersen
• We thank God for those of you who joined our giving team last month
• Sept. 23rd is the TV event of the year, the 64th annual Emmy Awards
• In prep for the Emmys, pray for the 23 new shows on the air
• Pray for people watching the new shows this season
• Pray for network executives to get hungry for the Lord
• Pray for actors on television to make wise moral choices
• Pray for Robin Roberts, the news anchor on Good Morning America
• Pray for the majority of industry professionals who can't find work
• HPN wants to help the PGA as they help Make-A-Wish Foundation
• Film Producer/Director Tony Scott committed suicide
• Pray for Nini, who boldly appeared on the new “Ricki Lake Show”
• Pray for Nuri, Alice and Ana, all industry pros going through it
• Pray for Terri and Barry, HPN’s Local Chapter Directors in San Jose
• Pray for Megan Giambroni, HPN’s Local Chapter Director in Ohio
• HPN member David asked for prayer as his feature documentary
• Pray for David Hurtado, HPN’s Local Chapter Director in Virginia
• Don’t miss the upcoming events in Hollywood
Dear HPN members,
Oh my goodness, it’s HOT in Hollywood. We hope you’re having a wonderful end to your summer and that you enjoy the start of the new school year and the new Fall TV season coming up this month. Let’s pray for the new television shows and all the people behind the seasons as we start Fall 2012!
• Praise God for Radiance International - a 24/7 Prayer Room
• Praise God for the joy of watching the Summer Olympics on TV
• Thank the Lord for a great 2 hour prayer walk around Hollywood last month
• Thank you so much for praying with us for the victims in Aurora, CO
• Praise God for Petra Anderson’s miracle in Aurora
• Pray for the new TV season starting in September
• Pray for Sylvester Stalone and his family as they grieve the death of son, Sage
• Pray for Comcast, the owner of Universal Studios
• Pray for the surge of Bible stories becoming TV shows and Hollywood films
• Let’s pray for the non-believers who are working on these biblical stories
• Pray for Christians across America to take back the Arts
• Pray for comedian, John Fugelsang, as he launches a new TV series
• Pray for the character of believers and those with no faith in Hollywood
• Please pray for HPN’s first donor and dear friend Ava, who is very sick
• Pray for the people who are suffering from supporting Chic-Fil-A
• “Could you please pray for a longtime client of mine and friend of 17 years
• Pray for the exciting growth and the current needs of HPN
• Don’t miss our local upcoming events
Dear HPN members,
HAPPY JULY. We have a lot to pray for, even though it’s the middle of summer and our industry is supposed to be very quiet. So, as you’re enjoying the summer weather, or even driving in your car on vacation, would you keep praying for the people, the projects and the issues in Hollywood that impact your world?
• Keep praying for Alan Horn at Disney and HPN’s friend who is working with him
• Pray for Rachel at the new TV Game Show, “The American Bible Challenge”
• We praise God for His hand on Broadway and in LA Theater
• Pray for FATHERS in our industry
• Pray for Tom Cruise (50), Katie Holmes (33) and their daughter Suri (6)
• Pray for Johnny Depp and his girlfriend, Vanessa Paradis, as they split up
• Pray for Jay Leno who was influenced by Louis Zamperini's conversion story
• Pray for Kristin Chenoweth who was hospitalized Wednesday
• Pray for the Christians in America to be wise in how to respond to movies
• Pray that Christians don’t boycott, get angry or revved up about films & TV
• Pray for the people in Hollywood who just want to be famous
• Pray for the family of Nora Ephron, a well-known essayist and filmmaker
• Pray for all of the people working on the feature film “Noah”
• Pray for Rene to experience grace as she goes through trials
• HPN Atlanta represented HPN at the annual AMTC SHINE event last week
• Last week our Florida HPN chapter had a big Arts & Media Conference
• Allied Integrated Marketing is offering our community special discounted tickets
• Join us for a Hollywood Prayer Walk to Serve The City! - Saturday, July 28th
• On 5 August 2012, pray for “Media Prayer Day 2012 – New Zealand”